Wholefoods include whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables that are in their natural state and have not been processed or refined in any way. When we eat whole foods, we gain a variety of vitamins and minerals that are essential to our well-being. The benefits of these vitamins and minerals include a strengthened immune system and disease protection.
If you are trying to eat healthier for weight loss, including more whole foods into your daily eating plan is a great way to start. Many studies have shown that those following diets high in these whole foods have a decreased risk of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and various cancers.
Below are the various vitamins and minerals you need and the whole foods you can get them from:
- Calcium – Broccoli and dark leafy greens
- Potassium – Bananas, cantaloupe, nuts, fish, and spinach
- Fiber – Legumes, apples, strawberries, and carrots
- Magnesium – Black beans, peas, almonds, and spinach
- Vitamin A – Eggs, carrots, and sweet potatoes
- Vitamin C – Oranges, tomatoes, bell peppers, and kiwi
- Vitamin E – Avocados, nuts, seeds, and dark leafy greens
If you are interested in learning more about how whole foods can help you achieve your weight loss goals, contact one of our coaches at Figure Savers Weight Loss & Diet Center. Our weight loss clinic in Maryland is fully equipped to get you started on the right path to a healthier lifestyle.